Sit-on kayaks are a great way to have fun on the water. Easy to transport and use, they are ideal for beginners as it’s very straightforward to get back on a sit-on kayak after capsizing. There is no need to learn how to Eskimo roll. You won’t need a spray deck either.
This type of watercraft is also ideal for more advanced paddlers. They are tough enough to withstand a whole lot of abuse and provide plenty of excitement if you take them out in the surf or on whitewater. There are solo sit-on kayaks, tandem sit-on kayaks, and even fishing sit-on kayaks, so you should have no problem fishing the ideal one for your needs.
Most sit-on kayaks come equipped with everything you need for a day out on the water. Some also come complete with paddles. However, when it comes to comfort, some kayaks are severely lacking.
The good news is that adding an aftermarket seat is an easy way to make your kayak more comfortable. With superior cushioning and support, a good seat will make your padding adventures much more enjoyable.
Ready to say goodbye to your sore butt and aching back? Here are our 5 best sit-on kayak seats!
1. Brooklyn Kayak Company Universal Kayak Seat
The Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC Professional Universal Sit on Top Full Kayak Seat is a light, budget-friendly, aftermarket seat that you can use on any sit-on kayak fitted with D-rings. Its thick foam seat, and stiff back means it will provide a comfortable place to sit without breaking the bank.
- Ridged for better drainage and air circulation
- Strong, corrosion-resistant brass fittings
- Adjustable anchor straps
- Also suitable for stand-up paddleboards
This seat is easy to fit, adjust, and remove. It provides just enough back support for comfort but won’t restrict your movements. This BKC seat also looks neat and smart and should fit most sit-on kayaks equipped with D-rings.
- Light and very comfortable
- Easy to fit, adjust, and remove
- Contoured back should help keep you cool
- Works best in sit-on kayaks with deep, molded backrests
As aftermarket sit-on kayak seats go, this BKC model could be the best kayak seat for the money: it is very budget-friendly, and yet still manages to be very comfortable. This seat is ideal for anyone looking to upgrade their current seat but without paying through the nose!
2. WOOWAVE Deluxe Kayak Seat
The WOOWAVE Kayak Seat is a light, flexible, and well-padded seat for sit-on kayaks. It can also be used in canoes and on stand-up paddleboards fitted with D-rings. It’s backed by a 12-month guarantee and very well made. Contoured and molded for maximum lumbar support, this lightweight seat should help prevent butt and back pain even on long paddles.
- Durable EVA foam interior and high quality 210D polyester exterior
- Thick foam seat cushion
- Four-point anchor webbing harness fitted with copper metal hooks
- Supplied with a removable waterproof storage bag
As well as being light and comfortable, the WOOWAVE Seat is practical too. The removable waterproof storage bag clips easily to the back of the seat. It is ideal for small items like snacks, phones, fish finders, or GPS units. The foam cushion means that this seat is very easy on your butt.
- Light and easy to fit or remove
- Fully adjustable
- Non-slip design for secure fit
- Very cost-effective
- Only really suitable for sit-on kayaks with D-rings
The WOOWAVE Seat should fit most sit-on kayaks, providing they have the necessary anchor points. Easy to install and remove, this adjustable seat is very comfortable and should be hardwearing too.
3. Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat Boat Seat
With the Leader Accessories Seat, comfort is all-but-guaranteed. Padded and yet supportive, this seat will fit all sit-on kayaks and can be used on paddleboards too. Contoured to provide even more support, this mid-priced seat is highly recommended.
- Molded, contoured backrest for maximal support and breathability
- Solid marine-grade brass connection hooks
- Durable, fully adjustable webbing straps
- Supplied with a detachable storage bag
- Available in three colorways
The Leader Seat is designed to be both comfortable and durable. Thickly padded and supportive, this seat will make even very long days’ paddling more enjoyable and comfortable. Marine-grade brass fittings mean that this seat should last a long time, even if you use it in saltwater.
- Fully adjustable
- Practical and easy to install or remove
- Can be folded flat when not in use
- Match the color of your seat to your kayak
- Only suitable for sit-on kayaks with D-rings
This hardwearing but lightweight seat will support your back and cushion your butt on even the roughest water. Supplied with a removable storage bag, this aftermarket seat is very practical too.
4. SATURN Aluminum Lightweight Folding Beach Chair
Despite its name, the SATURN can also be used on sit-on kayaks, and even on paddleboards. It’s light, but rigid construction means it’s very comfortable and supportive and is popular with anglers.
- Anodized, rust-proof aluminum construction
- Foldable for easy storage
- Fitted with water bottle holders, cellphone pockets, and rod holders
- High back for maximum support
The best thing about this seat is that you can use it on dry land as well as on your kayak. It’s entirely self-supporting, and while you can secure it to your kayak using bungees attached to D-rings, on calm waters, this is not really necessary. The Saturn chair is not suitable for vigorous paddling adventures on rough water but, for leisurely cruising or fishing, it should provide a very comfortable place to park your butt.
- Light, foldable, and easy to transport
- Lots of extra storage space
- Quick and easy to install and remove
- Can be used on dry land before or after paddling
- Not suitable for sit-on kayaks with narrow or contoured seats
Providing your kayak can accommodate this seat, the SATURN Aluminum Lightweight Folding Beach Chair is an excellent alternative to the more common folding foam seats that most kayakers use. It raises your butt a few inches above your kayak, which means it can help keep you dry too. It also provides a nice place to sit once your paddling excursion is finished.
5. Skwoosh Expedition Kayak Seat
Cyclists know a thing or two about comfortable seats. The cycling industry has been making gel saddles for several years now, which mold and conform to your body’s contours for maximum comfort. The Skwoosh Expedition Kayak Seat uses the same technology to enhance your comfort on even the longest paddling excursion.
- Reinforced back with removable lumbar roll
- Waterproof gel-filled seat cushion
- Built-in twin water bottle holders
- Bungee storage area on back of seat
- Four adjustable security anchors for stability and comfort
Most aftermarket sit-on kayak seats are great for comfort, but that’s really all they do -support your back and pad your butt. The Skwoosh Kayak Seat is designed not just to be a seat but also help you stay hydrated too. The twin bottle holders mean that water is always within easy reach. That’s good news when you are out paddling in the warm sunshine and don’t want to have to stop for a drink.
- Very comfortable
- Easy to fit, adjust, and remove
- Adds extra storage capacity to your sit-on kayak
- Ideal for cruising, longer kayaking trips, and camping
- Perfect for paddlers who suffer from butt or backache
- Only compatible with kayaks fitted with D-rings
The Skwoosh Expedition Kayak Seat is the most expensive kayak seat on review, but it’s potentially the most comfortable too. The gel cushion will mold to your butt, providing the ultimate in padding and support. If you want to paddle for hours at a time in complete comfort, this sit-on kayak seat is the one for you.
Get A Kayak Seat And Avoid Unnecessary Back Pain 🙂
An uncomfortable seat can really take the fun out of sit-on kayaking. You won’t notice it at first but, little by little, your butt and back will start to ache, and you may even need to get out of your kayak to relieve the pain.
Don’t let discomfort spoil your kayaking adventures; pamper your back and butt by upgrading your seat with any of our tried and tested kayak seats!.